Friday, September 09, 2005

 

Living it up

just to blast any illusions that any of you may still have about how cool I am and about what an exciting life I lead, I would like to prove once and for all that I am certainly as boring as the rest of 'em.

It's Friday night, 8 pm. Supposedly all of the people who are cool are out right now, wearing shimmery clothes and laughing with their friends under bright street lights.

(okay, so those people sound like hookers. but I'm picturing some picture spread in Glamour.)

Me. I'm sitting here, just polished off a bowl of easy mac, WRITING IN MY BLOG, wearing a gym outfit (albeit coordinated). However, I do have big plans for the night. i'm going to paint my nails in a few, then I'll look up a place that I have an interview at monday. Then I'm going to see a scary movie by myself at union station, surrounded by freshmen CUA students, none who will recognize me, thank goodness.

I will then walk back to the apartment, completely paranoid because of the scary movie, and I'll breathe a sigh of relief when I make it to the police station one block from the apartment. Because that's my mental safepoint.

but an hour after that - E comes home from work (why am I complaining? at least I'm not working!) and then we'll go to the Times and work on our pool skills. Which somehow seem to be getting worse with each day that goes by, but that's all in the fun of it.

Now, even though I've admitted all this, for some reason I still feel cool and like a good catch. It's kind of like a realistic preview to when I move down here - this shows that every night is not going to be a Meg-centric party, there are going to be some nights when I feel lonely and very much like the Plan B of people who are out living it up with their Plan As. The key is to recognize these nights when they come, figure out what I want to do, and then do it. Because, honestly. Just because I'm alone does not mean that I should be hiding indoors like a pariah!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?