Tuesday, November 08, 2005

 

As Jacob once said...this is a blog about nothing.

So I spend free moments of my day thinking of things to write in here. I'll craft sentences in my head, mentally writing and re-writing different phrases so that they sound just right. I'll think of it when I'm in the shower, but only if I've already figured out what I'm going to wear. I'll think of it while I'm going to and fro work. I'll possibly even think of it when I'm sitting on my lunch break, avoiding eye contact with sketchy looking people in the Circle.

But when it comes down to actually writing? I'm such a slacker. The evening rolls around, and after being at the computer all day for work, and then coming back here and doing my fun little internet things, like reading random blogs, checking up on people on facebook, I can barely summon the energy to type a few lines, nevermind stitch together some coherent sentences.

The Internet is such an energy and time waster.

(and as if to prove my point, I had to type the above sentence twice because I accidentally highlighted and deleted it the first time.)

Not like I found the cure for cancer or anything while I didn't have access for two weeks - in fact, I didn't do much of anything productive, other than read a mediocre book (The Secret Life of Bees. It was okay.) and clean one night. Who knows where the rest of the time went?

But, thinking about it, it's not the Internet that is the time waster. It's totally me. For example, during my school career, I'd occasionally get a project that was just so inspiring, and I was extremely excited about it. When I was in middle school, I'd walk home, lost in my grand plans for the A+. In high school, I'd chat excitedly with my mom on the drive home, detailing my...grand plans for the A+. And then in college? I was a bit more realistic then and knew of my procrastinating tendencies, but I'd still hope that I'd change.

So the Internet is kinda like that. I'll go on it with these fantastic (okay, so-so) plans. For example, tonight I was going to go on the IKEA website to check out their bed selection, find a DC adult volleyball team and help with the evites for our party this weekend.

Well...I looked at the beds on ikea.com. So that's kind a bust. The volleyball team can wait another day, right?

I just started Farenheit 451 on the metro this morning. Other than some weird moments where I feel like Bradbury was on drugs when he was writing it, it's pretty good. Very promising. Wearing the green pom pom hat that Tans gave me (even though Eric the security guard/my fashion consultant told me it wasn't cold enough for it), I felt very uber dorky cool. Like, "Look at me, I'm reading a weird book AND wearing an unconventional hat. And I'm secure."

oooh, the bottom of someone's car just scraped the ground outside. What an unpleasant noise.

Anyhow, there was a good quote in the book that described how I feel when I'm torn by two conflicting desires. Here it is:

"He felt his body divide itself into a hotness and a coldness, a softness and a hardness, a trembling and a not trembling, the two halves grinding upon the other."

okay, so maybe that's a bit dramatic. But I like the imagery.

and on the last of the random list..our apartment is once again a sauna. For a couple of days it's been almost chilly when I've woken up, but now the neon palm tree doesn't feel that out of place. Guess it's time to (temporarily) retire the fleece.

Comments:
hey, that hat cant be toooo unconventional if they sell it at American Eagle! :-P and pom poms will always be in, they are selling them again this year though in a different style, with matching gloves :)
 
I'll be sure to stock up, I love mine!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?