Sunday, November 05, 2006

 

I Know Things Now...

I don't so much have writer's block...as that I have nothing to write about. The plot of my November Novel has taken a turn in the direction of Romance + Social Justice. The plot is my life has taken a turn in the direction of procrastinating, and hoping that I write a bazillion words tomorrow.

(Common methods of procrastination: watching "Extreme Makeover," reading Missed Connections.)

Friday night I saw "Into the Woods," performed by the Georgetown Gilbert & Sullivan Society. I went because I had heard that Mel was carrying the pit orchestra with her incredible violining skills - and she did not disappoint.

One song, called "I Know Things Now" had the line "Nice is different than good."

That one threw me for a loop. Although common sense, I'm not sure if I ever really broke it down like that before. I think that often I do mistake nice for being the same as good. It's confusing - good people aren't always nice, and, more importantly, nice people aren't always good.

Basic, I know.

On an unrelated note, a guy demonstrated manners this weekend, and it really struck me. Basically, P forced him into walking me to a main street to get a cab. He hailed one for me, and it stopped on the other side of a divided street. I was all ready to say my goodbyes ("Thanks! Peace! Nice to meet you!"), but he bolted across the street, and opened the cab door for me.

Holy crap.

Two things:
1) What impeccable manners. It makes one feel special.
2) He's clearly good.

Comments:
And you, being the intelligent woman that you are, of course got his number? Name at least?

(come on Meg, I need some good news right now...)
 
Haha, I wasn't carrying the pit. But thanks :)

As I mentioned before in passing, mine is becoming a political intrigue/romance novel. Who knew I had that kind of dreck in me? ;)
 
Also, I really like that song...and that line. I had the same thought.
 
The whole not having anything to write about is a major reason why I am not taking part in the November project...
 
tc: nope! I mean, he was just being polite. I had to act like that was normal!

m: Yes you did! You'll be the new Tom Clancy, writing about nukes on subs and whatnot. And that's so neat, that you had the same thought :-)

rem: plot what?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?