Wednesday, March 19, 2008

 

You Have Got To Be Kidding ME

Station Tune-In: Flat-screen televisions at Mass. Pike service plazas are getting a mixed reception from travelers

In case you don't want to read the article: TVs are getting placed on gas pumps, so you have the pleasure of watching & listening to "news bytes, sports highlights, and the latest Hollywood gossip" while filling up your gas tank. If that drivel wasn't bad enough, the main focus, obviously, is advertising. David Leider, the CEO of Gas Station TV, crowed, "We like to say the consumer is tied to the screen with an 8-foot rubber hose for five minutes."

This really makes me very, very angry. If these start popping up locally (wherever that might be), I'll probably either a) take a hammer to them or b) carry around pieces of cardboard and tape them to the screen.

There are few things I hate more than TV being forced upon me. United Airlines is also an offender, playing their stupid ads (the volume playing over the loudspeaker) on the ceiling TVs for a few minutes after the safety video. Contrary to what Leider might think, I'm not a captive audience. I am an extremely hostile audience.

I'm going to write contact Gas Station TV. Part of me wonders, though, if they're the vengeful sort who would then instantly make sure that all gas stations within a 50-mile radius would be outfitted with the TVs. It's a risk I'm willing to take.

And oh my goodness. On the page for gas station owners, it claims that the TVs will "result in customer loyalty, increased traffic and higher C-store sales."

Cam, sweetheart. Can we mine our own oil and gas? How does that work?

Comments:
Hopefully your letter to the Gas station will go over as well as the one to McDonalds.
 
Ridiculous. Must we be so tied to TVs??!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?